An immigration attorney is a private practitioner who provides immigration legal services to individuals interested in getting a green card, family visas, work visas, or students visas, and they aren’t connected to U.S. immigration offices like the Department of State, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), and the Department of Homeland Security. They deal with various issues relating to green cards, U.S. citizenship, immigration visas, and other U.S. immigration processes.
U.S. immigration laws are established by the federal government. Anyone who will be allowed to enter the U.S. or how long anyone can stay is determined by these rules. If a foreign national wishes to undergo the naturalization process to become a legal immigrant and become a U.S. citizen, or if they’re facing legal issues regarding their immigration status, they must be familiar with the provisions of these laws.
Seeking legal advice from immigration experts who are up-to-date with immigration news and laws is your best bet when facing legal immigration issues. A Nashville immigration and family law attorneys can help you understand the legal immigration process and make sure that your visa application goes smoothly.
How an Immigration Attorney Can Help
There are different ways an immigrant lawyer can help immigrant families. In this article, we have provided you with three ways that Durham immigration lawyers can help.
1. Properly Explain the Immigration Process
Usually, new immigrants encounter problems such as deportation, overstaying, illegal entry, or even losing legal status because there are issues with the immigrant visas or visa application process they’ve chosen. A legal counsel that knows the process of immigration and the different immigration offices can help make your application a success.
The Department of Homeland Security have different federal agencies that are in charge of administrating different immigration laws and immigration policy :
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) – the government agency that oversees lawful immigration to the United States
- Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) – monitors cross-border crimes and illegal immigration that threaten national security and public safety
- Customs and Border Protection (CBP) – the largest federal law enforcement agency that is focused on border control and security
2. Assess the Right Type of Visa for You
An immigration attorney can guide you when choosing the type of visa or adjustment of status that is appropriate for your situation. The different types of U.S. visas are:
- Immigrant visa – issued to foreign nationals who intend to live permanently in the United States
- Non-immigrant visa – issued to foreign nationals wishing to enter the United States temporarily – for tourism, medical treatment, business, temporary work, study, or other similar reasons
- Visa Waiver Program (VWP) – enables foreign nationals from 38 participating countries to travel to the United States for tourism or business for stays of 90 days or less without obtaining a visa. A VWP can’t be used to apply for a student visa or work visa or to apply for a green card to become a lawful permanent resident
3. Assist You in Your Green Card Application
Aside from giving you immigration advice and helping you get familiar with the immigration process, experienced immigration attorneys can also assist you in preparing and submitting your application for family immigration and give you legal representation in an immigration court.
If you have plans of applying for family-based immigration, you’d have to submit your application and other supporting documents to the U.S. federal government. Immigration law can be complicated, and seeking the help of immigration law firms that specialize in immigration, such as Diener Law, can help you in your application.
How a Nashville immigration and family law attorneys Can Help
The immigration process can be very long and confusing. That is why it’s important to seek the immigration assistance of a highly-skilled attorney who specializes in immigration laws and procedures such as employment-based visas, obtaining a green card, or petition for alien relatives.
Our family immigration lawyers are here to help. If you’re an immigrant who needs legal assistance for yourself and your family or if you have immigration questions, consult with our Nashville immigration and family law attorneys today.